for quality writing

Ken Borland



Heyneke Meyer still unmoved 0

Posted on September 04, 2012 by Ken

Coach Heyneke Meyer is sticking to his guns despite what he called the “philosophical and romanticised” talk about game plans as the Springboks headed off to Australia on Saturday night.

The draws with Argentina in Mendoza and England in Port Elizabeth, and the underwhelming wins alongside those stalemates, have had critics blasting Meyer for his “staid”, “one-dimensional”, “forward-dominated” and “kicking” game plan.

But Meyer shot down those criticisms, saying the Springboks were playing in much the same fashion as every other leading nation in the world.

“All this talk about game plans is totally philosophical and romanticised. Eighty percent of the game plans of other international teams are the same and there is no such thing as Plans A, B, C and D, that’s just folklore,” Meyer said.

What has clearly frustrated – perhaps even angered – him has been all the sniping that he is merely using a Bulls game plan that revolves around kicking.

“About the kicking game. New Zealand kicked the most last year and won the World Cup, while the Stormers topped the log in SuperRugby and I think they kicked the second-most in the competition. Argentina kicked more than us last weekend, but everyone praised them. If we get quick ball, on the front foot, obviously I don’t want the guys to kick, but it’s about reading the situation,” Meyer said.

Flyhalf Morne Steyn has been pilloried for just kicking the ball away in Mendoza, but the statistics certainly offer him some backing. According toruckingoodstats.com, of the 33 balls Steyn received in Mendoza, he kicked just nine of them.

The idea that there are several different game plans being employed in international rugby these days is naive. Rugby is a simple game and the objectives are almost universal: get momentum and quick ball and then create space in the defensive lines that have become so suffocating in the modern era.

“Most tries come from broken-field ball or turnovers. It’s not about the game plan, it’s about reading the situation and the more experienced players read the situation better.

“If the defence is good in tight, then you want the ball to go wider because that’s where the space is. But if the defence is better out wide, then you have to go through the middle. It’s just common sense, reading the situation.

“We use the same game plan that has won World Cups, although some teams are more forward-orientated and others are more backline-orientated. New Zealand have both forwards and backs in the mix and that’s the route we want to go.

“But you have to attack where the defence is weak, whether that be on the blindside or out wide, or under the high ball,” Meyer said.

There were times, of course, when the Springboks looked utterly clueless on attack against Argentina and Meyer admits that vision and “reading the situation” are two areas that still require a lot of work. He believes he does not get the raw material to enable him to play the fancy offload game that the All Blacks use so proficiently.

“Australia and New Zealand are both better than us at reading the situation because of the way their players have been brought up, they teach them how to create space from day one.

“If you have someone like Sonny Bill Williams in your backline then you can play off him, or you can use those little pop passes amongst the forwards. But that takes time, we haven’t even got the base in place yet and the current game plan suits the Springboks. You can’t get to Point E in the game plan if you haven’t even covered Point A yet.”

But before everyone gives up hope and doesn’t even bother watching the Springboks in Perth next Saturday from 12:35pm, South Africa’s current approach might just work against the Wallabies.

Australia’s strength is undoubtedly amongst their backs, especially since they have lost world-class forwards such as David Pocock, James Horwill and Wycliff Palu, but, as the All Blacks showed, even the Wallaby dazzlers require front-foot ball from their forwards.

The Springboks will concentrate heavily on their in-form scrum and Meyer looks set to make the lineout a key weapon with Duane Vermeulen at eighthman providing an additional jumper.

“We’re not going to underestimate Australia’s forwards because they do have a very good pack, Nathan Sharpe is very experienced and they have a great back row. But we have to target them up front. We must definitely put pressure on them at the scrum, where we’ve been impressive against England and Argentina, two strong scrummaging sides.

“Australia tend to flood the breakdown out wide, that’s where you can lose the ball, and they are very dangerous with quick ball. So it’s very important that the backs clean out as well. We will have to be very direct against Australia and if we kick aimlessly, we’ll be in trouble because they’re very good at counter-attacking,” Meyer said.

We’ve heard it all before, of course, about the Springboks physically dominating the Wallabies, but lately that hasn’t come to pass. Australia have won the last four meetings between the two sides and, if they triumph in Perth, they will set a new national record for successive wins against South Africa.

The World Cup-winning team of 1999/2000 also won four in a row, but the current Wallaby team is surely a poor shadow of that great side and hopefully the thought of losing to the present bunch will prove to be extra motivation for the Springboks.

So, in the interests of winning, the Springboks will be quite content to let Australia do all the running next weekend – preferably from inside their own half, with slow ball and a pack that is moving backwards. Much like South Africa were forced to do in Mendoza last week.

http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2012-09-02-springboks-heyneke-meyer-still-unmoved

Boks need defensive wall v Australia – Meyer 0

Posted on September 04, 2012 by Ken

South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer said on Saturday that the Springboks will have to put up an impenetrable defensive wall against Australia when they meet in their Rugby Championship match in Perth next week.

“Australia are a dangerous side when they get quick ball, especially their backs, who are unbelievable. If our defence is not 100%, they will punish us,” Meyer told reporters in Johannesburg on Saturday.

While the Australian public are tearing into their team after two straight losses to New Zealand, including a 22-0 defeat in Auckland last weekend – the first time in 50 years that the Wallabies have not scored a point against the All Blacks – Meyer said Robbie Deans’s charges still had the ability to hurt the Springboks.

“Australia are a very good team and we don’t have a good record against them. New Zealand are just a way ahead of everyone at the moment and nobody’s giving us a chance in Perth next weekend.

“Australia have a very good pack which you cannot underestimate and it should be a very good contest at the breakdowns. We need to be very direct and if we kick aimlessly, they are very good at counter-attacking.

“They will definitely test us on defence because they run different lines and they have a more backline-orientated team. I’m very realistic and I know how tough it’s going to be against the Wallabies,” Meyer said.

South Africa’s new coach is not expected to make radical changes to either the Springbok game plan or personnel, despite the disapppointing 16-16 draw against Argentina in Mendoza last weekend.

“You change the game plan week-by-week depending on the opposition, but they’re just small tweaks and you still play to your strengths. This whole thing about game plans is totally romanticised and unrealistic. Eighty percent of the game plan is the same for every team in the world and there’s no such things as Plans B, C or D, and you can’t get to Point E on the field if you still haven’t covered Point A.

“The game plan is the same one that wins World Cups and it’s a game plan that suits the Springboks. But the base is not even in place yet and the only time a team really learns is when they’re playing away.

“I’m a guy who backs the players, will give them continuity and once we’ve played away from home then I’ll look at the combinations and be ruthless. We need to get our depth sorted first,” Meyer said.

While Australians are bemoaning their run of 14 defeats in 17 matches against the All Blacks, the current Wallabies can make history against the Springboks in Perth. If Australia win, it will be their fifth successive triumph against South Africa, improving on the four straight victories achieved by the world champion 1999/2000 side.

Meyer said he was expecting a much more fluid game in Perth after the forward-dominated arm-wrestle in Mendoza, which saw the Springboks struggle to obtain any front-foot ball.

“Ja, I think we’ll get much quicker ball against Australia and the game will be more like we’re used to in the southern hemisphere. Against Argentina we didn’t get any quick ball, but we must adapt to the referee. We weren’t accurate enough on our cleaning out and we’ve worked very hard on that this week,” Meyer said.

Australia have scored just one try in their two matches against the All Blacks this year, while South Africa managed four in their games against Argentina, but Meyer said New Zealand and the Wallabies have greater vision than his side.

“Most tries come from broken field possession or turnovers and it’s not about the game plan, it’s about reading the situation. The more experienced players read the situation better and Australia and New Zealand are better at it than us because of the way they are brought up as rugby players,” Meyer said.

 

Players believe in the game plan – Bok captain 0

Posted on August 30, 2012 by Ken

South Africa’s players believe in the game plan employed by coach Heyneke Meyer and the environment around the team allows them the latitude to disagree, Springbok captain Jean de Villiers said on Thursday.

Meyer has been criticised in South Africa for a rigid game plan that revolves around the forwards bashing the ball up to get over the gain line, with the backline generally being used to implement the kicking and territory games the Springboks have used in recent years.

South Africa won the first two tests of their series against England in June before drawing the third, and they won their opening Rugby Championship match against Argentina in Cape Town, without a four-try bonus point, before being held to a shock draw last weekend in Mendoza by the debutants in the southern hemisphere competition that was formerly known as the Tri-Nations.

“When you don’t live up to expectations then you will be criticised. But the important thing is that we believe in what we are doing, we are set on a game plan that we believe can produce winning rugby,” centre De Villiers told a news conference at the Orlando Stadium in Soweto on Thursday.

“We definitely don’t feel like it’s a dictatorship. Heyneke is a new coach trying to get his message across as to how he wants us to play. But we’re all grown-ups, if we disagree then we’ll stand up and say so. We believe in what the coach is trying to do, if that changes, then I believe our environment, the system the team operates in, allows us to have the space to express our views.”

While the Springboks were panned for playing one-dimensional, forward-dominated rugby against Argentina, De Villiers said he felt the backline had been more effective than they were given credit for.

“I’ve looked at the game again and I felt a bit better about it after that. A lot of positives can come out of that game, although there’s obviously lots to work on.

“I thought we attacked really nicely at times, we created space and now the goal is to get the ball into that space. We’re not always using the forwards to get momentum, sometimes we use them to take the ball up and then the next phase we’ll go wide.

“But we have to make sure we protect the ball out wide and not let the opposition spoil it at the ends of the field,” De Villiers said.

The 31-year-old veteran of 77 tests said discipline, the set-phases and adapting to the referee’s ruck interpretations were some of the areas that needed improvement ahead of the Australasian leg of their Rugby Championship campaign that features matches against Australia in Perth on September 8 and versus New Zealand in Dunedin on September 15.

“If we were a mediocre team, then everyone would be happy with our performances, but we believe that we’re a better team than we showed in Mendoza. So these games are an opportunity to step up as a team and show what we can produce.

“We need to learn from our experiences, we can’t make the same mistakes, and we are doing that – we improved from our game in Cape Town.

“But we’re at 50-60% of where we want to be, so obviously we have to improve. The margins are very small in test rugby and it’s the small things that make the difference,” De Villiers said.

 

Two new caps as Meyer opens up to change 0

Posted on August 29, 2012 by Ken

 

South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer on Wednesday recalled openside flank Francois Louw and chose the uncapped duo of eighthman Duane Vermeulen and flyhalf Johan Goosen to open the possibility of a significant change in approach for the Springboks’ two Rugby Championship matches in Australia and New Zealand.

South Africa opened their Rugby Championship campaign against debutants Argentina, beating them 27-6 in Cape Town but without a try-scoring bonus point, before being held to a shock 16-16 draw in Mendoza last weekend.

Amidst massive criticism of the game plan the Springboks have employed so far this year, Meyer suggested some willingness to change on Wednesday when he gave first call-ups to Vermeulen and Goosen.

The 26-year-old Vermeulen has been a star for the Stormers with his powerhouse displays from the back of the scrum, but several injuries have prevented him from being chosen earlier for the Springboks.

The 20-year-old Goosen sprung to prominence in last year’s IRB Junior World Championship before making a prolific SuperRugby debut for the Cheetahs this year, until a serious shoulder injury ruled him out of action from the beginning of May until last weekend.

“Injuries meant we could not use Duane and Johan earlier in the season, but both have played Currie Cup rugby since their return and, after consultation with their respective provincial medical teams, we’re confident that they are ready to travel with us. While Duane and Johan are medically fit, their provincial coaches felt it necessary that they get more game time in the Currie Cup this weekend, but as we don’t have a lot of time to prepare and we need as much time with them as possible to get them used to our structures and game plans, the decision was taken to select them for the tour,” Meyer said in a statement released by the South African Rugby Union on Wednesday.

“I regard both of them as world-class rugby players. If it wasn’t for injuries, Duane would have been a Springbok long ago. I also believe Johan has a long career ahead of him at test match level and we will expose him when and how we feel it will benefit the player and the team best.”

The lack of a specialist fetcher in the Springbok squad had also been criticised, with Louw getting a summons from Meyer despite the fact that he now plays his rugby in England for Bath. A raft of injuries in South Africa’s loose forward stocks have also complicated matters, with veterans Schalk Burger and Juan Smith, Heinrich Brussow and new Stormers sensation Siya Kolisi all ruled out at the moment, while Ryan Kankowski is currently playing rugby in Japan.

“We were very keen to give Siya Kolisi an opportunity on this tour, but he is also out injured. Francois played at the Rugby World Cup last year and is an experienced player.  We opted for Francois because he is a specialist openside flanker, in the absence of Schalk, Heinrich and Siya, that can cover blindside and number eight as well, while he is also a very useful option in the lineout,” Meyer said.

South Africa’s young squad – 20 of the 28 are under 28 years old – will have to learn quickly from their mistakes in Argentina, where their dependence on physical dominance failed as the Pumas matched them in the collisions.

The inclusion of Goosen, who has a prodigious boot but can also spark a backline, and recalled World Cup centre Juan de Jongh suggests Meyer has heard the call for more creative play from his team.

Loose forward Keegan Daniel, who Meyer had suggested would see action against Australia, and utility back JJ Engelbrecht are the players omitted from the squad that went to Argentina.

Squad – Zane Kirchner, Pat Lambie, Bryan Habana, Lwazi Mvovo, Jean de Villiers, Francois Steyn, Juan de Jongh, Morne Steyn, Johan Goosen, Ruan Pienaar, Francois Hougaard, Jano Vermaak, Duane Vermeulen, Willem Alberts, Marcell Coetzee, Francois Louw, Jacques Potgieter, Juandre Kruger, Eben Etzebeth, Flip van der Merwe, Andries Bekker, Pat Cilliers, Tendai Mtawarira, Jannie du Plessis, Dean Greyling, Adriaan Strauss, Tiaan Liebenberg, Craig Burden.

  • Recent Posts

  • Archives

  • Thought of the Day

    Mark 16:15 – “He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the Good News to all creation’.”

    We need to be witnesses for Christ, we need to be unashamed of our faith in Jesus. But sometimes we hesitate to confess our faith in Jesus before the world because of suggestions that religion is taboo in polite company or people are put off by those who are aggressively enthusiastic about their beliefs.

    “It is, however, important to know when to speak and when to be quiet. There is one sure way to testify to your faith without offending other people, and that is to follow the example of Jesus. His whole life was a testimony of commitment to his duty; sympathy, mercy and love for all people, regardless of their rank or circumstances. This is the very best way to be a witness for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

    “Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you so that others will see Christ in everything you do and say. In this way you will fulfill the command of the Lord.” – A Shelter From The Storm by Solly Ozrovech



↑ Top