for quality writing

Ken Borland



Proteas Women make the grade – Wolvaardt 2

Posted on April 29, 2026 by Ken

Proteas captain Laura Wolvaardt raised her bat for fifty in four of her five record-breaking innings in the series.

The Proteas Women’s performances made the grade in most departments during their 4-1 T20 series win over India, according to captain Laura Wolvaardt, but there are a couple of areas of their game which still need brushing up as they head into the 20-over World Cup in England in June.

South Africa signed off the series with a dominant performance at Willowmoore Park in Benoni, beating India by 23 runs. Wolvaardt was once again the Player of the Match as her sparkling 92 not out off just 56 balls carried the home team to 155 for six. An impressive bowling performance then restricted India to 132 for eight.

Wolvaardt took her tally of runs for the series to 330, the most in a women’s T20 rubber, making her the obvious choice for Player of the Series. The 27-year-old averaged 82.50 at a strike-rate of 168.36.

Her opening partner, Sune Luus, also enjoyed a successful series, scoring 197 runs at an average of 49.25 and a strike-rate of 138.73. But one concern for the Proteas will be that no other batter scored more than Annerie Dercksen’s 65 runs in four innings, two of which were not out.

Wolvaardt said after the fifth T20 that the lack of partnerships after the powerplay, in which they scored 49 without loss, was a concern. She faced 30 of the first 50 deliveries of the innings, reaching 50 in that time, but only 26 deliveries in the remaining 70. The Cape Town born player hit the last two balls of the innings for six to provide a crucial late boost in the company of Sinalo Jafta (16* off 8).

“Our total of 155 was somewhere around our goal in the end. The one area we lacked a bit in was partnerships. If we had one big partnership then we would have got over 165, which would have been decent. But we were about par, maybe a bit under.

“I did feel that I lost momentum a bit after the powerplay. We needed just one more big partnership, because when you lose wickets you’re also building dot balls. But I’m very happy with our batting in the powerplay and how much intent we showed.

“In all five matches that was good, and it was something that was not the best in the past. Previously we’ve been having slow starts and then some massive finishes. Now our starts are putting us in really good positions,” Wolvaardt said.

“Our death bowling has also come a long way, after we had found it tough in New Zealand. I thought it was a proper bowling effort today, the spinners were very good, Chloe Tryon and Nonkululeko Mlaba were excellent. We found a way to keep the batters quiet in the first 10 overs, they tried to force things but they just couldn’t do it. I was very impressed with the bowling.

“Taking our catches is one area we need to improve though. It’s been frustrating that in every game, one or two catches have gone down. But our play has been pretty good overall in this series, and I will now take a look at the different phases of the game more deeply.

“But we are very happy to beat India 4-1 and they are in our World Cup group as well. We now have a bit of momentum going into the tournament and it tells us that we are doing a lot of things right,” the skipper added.

While Wolvaardt was loathe to describe her performances as being the best she has ever batted, she did say she enjoyed being so fluent at the crease.

“I’m very happy with my form, although I did always have the best of the conditions because I won all the tosses. My batting had been a bit sluggish – in New Zealand I was getting like seven off the first 16 balls – and I can’t really say what changed. That’s how cricket is sometimes and it was nice to keep it going and enjoy the freedom to play positively,” Wolvaardt said.

Kolisi will tell his grandkids about ‘Ysterbeth’, while Eben praises his captain & Bok ‘pals’ 0

Posted on August 19, 2025 by Ken

Siya Kolisi said he can’t wait to tell his grandchildren that he played with Eben Etzebeth, while the giant lock himself said he would not have reached his landmark of becoming the most-capped Springbok rugby player ever if he had not been playing alongside his captain and other South African veterans who have won the last two World Cups.

Etzebeth won his 128th Test cap on Saturday as the Springboks hammered Argentina 48-7 to claim the Rugby Championship title in Mbombela. He surpassed the previous record of 127 caps held by Victor Matfield, between 2001 and 2015.

“To Eben, you are an yster [iron man] and I’m so grateful to have been able to walk this journey with you and I’m so grateful for your support, from when Rassie first made me captain, you have had my back. He leads the team, he is so smart and I am so proud of you. I can’t wait to tell my grandkids that I played with Eben Ysterbeth. I love you, my brother,” Kolisi said in an emotional post-match interview on TV.

Etzebeth responded in the post-match press conference, saying: “Siya and I have come a long way and he spoke so nicely about me, he is an unbelievable person. As a small boy, you just want to play for the Springboks, and to now have the most caps feels unreal, it is unbelievable.

“To do it together with this team, we are best pals, makes it even more special. I could not have done it without the team, guys who I’ve been to three World Cups with. They’ve been with me from day one and I would not have reached this milestone if they weren’t there.

“It’s also not nice if you lose on a day like this. This was a final for us and the guys made it special for me. We will celebrate very nicely, you must win in this industry to be able to enjoy your beer,” Etzebeth said.

The 32-year-old Etzebeth will now have an eye on the all-time Test record of 171 caps set by fellow lock Alun-Wyn Jones of Wales and the British and Irish Lions.

“I’m staying put for now. I will push my body as far as it can go. The ultimate is playing rugby for this team, so I will keep on pushing, training hard and trying to perform for my club [the Sharks]. Hopefully the coaches will keep selecting me,” Etzebeth said.

Matfield praised Etzebeth for being an ambassador for South Africa as a whole.

“I was very fortunate to also become the most capped Springbok in Nelspruit, taking over from another legend in John Smit. And now another legend has overtaken me, I was there with him when he was 19 years old. What Eben does on the field is incredible, but he does even more off the field and is a great ambassador for South Africa,” Matfield said.

‘Forgotten’ Brand will persist in forcing his way back into Proteas picture 0

Posted on August 05, 2025 by Ken

Neil Brand was South Africa’s Test captain just three matches ago,  but now seems almost forgotten by Proteas coach Shukri Conrad. But the Titans skipper knows that a far greater weight of runs than he scored last season will be necessary to force his way back into the picture. Fortunately Brand is the persistent sort.

The left-handed opener and under-rated orthodox spinner led South Africa in their two Tests in New Zealand last summer when the SA20 was being played and had gobbled up most of the country’s top players. Now that everyone is available, competition for places for the two Tests in Bangladesh next month, and the series against Sri Lanka and Pakistan at home, is stiff with most of the stars available.

Brand has started the new season in fine fashion though, scoring an impressive century for the SA A team he led against Sri Lanka A, in Benoni. His 129 highlighted all his strengths – defiance at the crease, the technique to see off the new ball and the ability to shift gears when the bowling allowed it.

Despite his dream of playing Test cricket coming true in the most astonishing way, last season was actually a battle for Brand, who averaged just 25.92 in all first-class cricket last season, with one century and two fifties.

“It was a bit of a struggle,” Brand admitted when interviewed by Rapport. “I just couldn’t get going although I had lots of starts. But I learnt a lot last season too, especially going to New Zealand and playing for SA A. And I’ve put a lot of hard work in during the off-season, especially on my set-up because a lot of bowlers were getting me out from around the wicket, it was something they had obviously analysed.

“So I’ve made things a bit more simple for this season and it’s always nice to start with a hundred. It’s not really my personality to try and get away from cricket, I prefer hard work, so that’s what I did during the winter. There’s definitely a step-up between domestic and international cricket and it’s hardest in batting,” Brand said.

Now that the 28-year-old, who has been playing first-class cricket for nearly a decade, has a sense of what it requires to succeed at international level, he is well-placed to answer the question as to what our domestic players need to be able to make that step up.

If one has been following the conversation around local cricket recently, then you’ll not be surprised to hear him say playing more cricket is the key.

“We definitely lack cricket. Playing just seven first-class games makes it really tough and sometimes, if you have Proteas white-ball commitments, you only play three or four matches. I would definitely be keen for more red-ball games, we need at least 10. Most players who play for 10 years would be heading for 100 games, I have 55.

“So definitely more cricket is needed. Even for bowlers, for the volume required they need to be bowling 20 overs a day. Four-day cricket presents you with tough conditions and you have to find a way to perform. Our skills are there, but we just don’t execute them for long enough,” Brand said.

AB last led SA in 2017, now he’s back! 0

Posted on May 07, 2025 by Ken

The last time AB de Villiers led South Africa was in December 2017 as the stand-in captain for the only day/night Test this country has hosted – an innovation that turned into a freak show as Zimbabwe were beaten by an innings-and-120-runs in less than two days at St George’s Park.

The experiment has never been repeated by the Proteas. But De Villiers will be back at the helm of another national team when he skippers the South Africa squad in another innovative cricket event – the World Championship of Legends to be held in England from July 18 to August 2.

This enterprising T20 tournament has already enjoyed a successful first season, with 325 million viewers watching the televised matches last year, and more than 100 000 spectators coming to the stadiums used for the inaugural event – Edgbaston in Birmingham and the Northampton County Ground.

This year, the venues being used have doubled to include Grace Road in Leicester and Headingley in Leeds. The tournament is open to any cricketer who is 33 or older and is not signed up by their national board.

The South African team that missed out on the semifinals last year on nett run-rate included several players of the world-beating side of around 15 years ago – JP Duminy, Jacques Kallis, Neil McKenzie, Charl Langeveldt, Vernon Philander, Ryan McLaren, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Herschelle Gibbs, Makhaya Ntini and Ashwell Prince.

But they lost their first three games against much younger teams, but then beat India and Pakistan, the two sides that contested the final, which India won.  The turnaround came largely due to the introduction of two current players in Sarel Erwee and Jacques Snyman. The lesson has been learned, though, and De Villiers will lead a squad that features many more players of the previous decade and not the one before that.

The likes of Aaron Phangiso, Hardus Viljoen, Wayne Parnell, Duanne Olivier, Jon-Jon Smuts and Erwee all played domestic franchise cricket last summer. Viljoen, Parnell, Smuts and Erwee have been part of the SA20 competition.

The firepower that still-fast bowlers like Viljoen, Parnell and Olivier can bring suggests South Africa are going back to the traditional strength of pace bowling.

The presence of De Villiers, still the hero of millions, is a massive coup for the World Championship of Legends, along with the recently-retired Chris Morris, Albie Morkel and Hashim Amla.

De Villiers said he made the decision to return to playing cricket thanks to the backyard games he is involved in with his two boys, aged nine and seven. He will be hoping to continue in the same vein as the tremendous 101 not out he scored off just 28 balls for the Titans Legends against the Bulls Legends at SuperSport Park on March 9.

“The kids keep me busy playing cricket in the garden, I’ve become a bowler thanks to them,” the 41-year-old De Villiers said at the launch of the South Africa Champions team at the Wanderers. “I’ve really enjoyed playing with them and now I want to go out and enjoy every second on the cricket field again. I’ll be with familiar faces and I will just go out and compete and hopefully we can sneak in a few wins.

“To be honest, the bowling wasn’t too hard against the Bulls and I started two weeks before with net sessions. But I’ve always had a lot of respect for my opponents, sometimes they have won our contests. So I just want to enjoy some more special moments with my team-mates, I haven’t been in a changeroom for many years,” De Villiers said.

Amla has travelled to Qatar and India in recent years to play in Masters tournaments and will also be looking to continue some good recent form as he scored 76 and 82* in the recent International Masters League earlier this year.

“I was really worried when I went to India in February having had just one net beforehand, worried if I could still see the ball,” Amla said with a chuckle. “But it went well, although it takes time to get back into it.

“The competitiveness is actually very high, there are top cricketers playing like Chris Gayle, the Universe Boss. And we will be wearing South Africa on our chest, so we are representing the country,” Amla said.

South Africa squad: Aaron Phangiso, Hardus Viljoen, Wayne Parnell, Chris Morris, AB de Villiers, Duanne Olivier, Jon-Jon Smuts, Sarel Erwee, Imran Tahir, Morne van Wyk, Dane Vilas, Albie Morkel, Richard Levi, Hashim Amla.

  • Recent Posts

  • Archives

  • Thought of the Day

    Mark 16:15 – “He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the Good News to all creation’.”

    We need to be witnesses for Christ, we need to be unashamed of our faith in Jesus. But sometimes we hesitate to confess our faith in Jesus before the world because of suggestions that religion is taboo in polite company or people are put off by those who are aggressively enthusiastic about their beliefs.

    “It is, however, important to know when to speak and when to be quiet. There is one sure way to testify to your faith without offending other people, and that is to follow the example of Jesus. His whole life was a testimony of commitment to his duty; sympathy, mercy and love for all people, regardless of their rank or circumstances. This is the very best way to be a witness for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

    “Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you so that others will see Christ in everything you do and say. In this way you will fulfill the command of the Lord.” – A Shelter From The Storm by Solly Ozrovech



↑ Top