Retribution for their defeat at the hands of Ulster last season that condemned them to an away quarterfinal will not be on the Sharks’ minds, according to centre Rohan Janse van Rensburg, when they take on the Irish powerhouses in their United Rugby Championship clash at Kings Park on Saturday.
Ulster beat the Sharks 24-21 at the Kingspan Stadium last May, which meant they pushed the Sharks down to fifth in the standings and forced them into playing their quarterfinal against the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld, where they went down 30-27, beaten by an 83rd minute drop goal by Chris Smith.
But instead of reflecting on that pain, Janse van Rensburg says the Sharks are instead focusing on the positive benefits that could come from beating Ulster in Durban this weekend: a bonus point win and other results going their way could see them climb into the top five on the log.
“We haven’t spoken about what happened last season at all,” Janse van Rensburg said on Tuesday. “Our conversations have purely been based on what we can do to beat Ulster.
“It’s a massive game for us, especially with the current log positions being a great motivation for us. Every point matters at this stage of the season as we try and get closer to the top five. We have the potential to get there already this weekend, so we just want to take our next steps forward.
“We have to use the climate and the heat to our advantage, it’s huge to be able to capitalise on those at home. But most importantly, we need to make sure we pitch up.
“Ulster are always a strong team to face, regardless of them losing a few players to Ireland, so it’s important for us to be really on it from the start,” Janse van Rensburg said.
Playing 81 times for the Sale Sharks between 2017 and 2022 furnished Janse van Rensburg with the ability to adapt to different conditions and match situations, and the 28-year-old sees himself as a senior player with the Natal Sharks, lending his experience to the rest of the team.
“It was definitely a great experience being there overseas for five years, especially playing in the wet conditions, you have to adapt. Sometimes it would be snowing and then it gets really hard.
“But having to adapt to whatever the conditions are on match-day definitely helped me in my game-management. With that experience I just try and help the other boys in the midst of a tough game, but it also helps me in terms of how I think about the game.
“Ulster are coming from their winter so it’s going to be a massive adjustment for them, especially with how hot the weather gets this time of year around 2pm.
“But it’s a really, really big game for us. Confidence is everything and we have quality players who want to perform and achieve higher honours. There’s a big onus on us, even though we are missing a lot of players, to take responsibility for every game now,” Janse van Rensburg said.
Garreth Ewing has resigned with immediate effect as the national men’s hockey coach and there are fears in South African hockey circles that the fine performances he achieved with the team were merely hiding the level of maladministration in the game and tough times lie ahead for the team.
Ewing made public on social media on Tuesday the reasons for his shock decision to leave his post, just before the FIH Nations Cup tournament starts in Potchefstroom on November 28. The 48-year-old said his resignation was “a final response to an accumulation of events … These were starting to impact on me, both personally and professionally. The weight of it all was putting strain on my relationships, both inside and outside the team, and my health, both physical and mental”.
Describing his decision as “an act of self-care”, Ewing said he will “look forward to falling in love with hockey again”.
Under his watch since 2019, South Africa were winless and last in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, despite beating Germany 4-3. They were, though, invited to participate in the elite Pro League and earlier this year they reached the semi-finals of the Commonwealth Games for the first time in 20 years and have qualified for next year’s World Cup since then with their strong showings seeing Ewing nominated this year for the FIH Coach of the Year award. They have moved up to 14th in the world rankings.
But insiders speak of all these achievements being despite the administration and not because of it. One stakeholder from the sponsorship market told The Citizen “SA Hockey are the most amateur and disorganised sports body we work with”.
Amongst the frustrations cited by those around the team are the players being told three days before leaving for Malaysia and the recent Sultan Azlan Shah Cup that they had to come up with R41 000 each to play in the tournament.
For the FIH Nations Cup in Potchefstroom, which will decide the one team who joins the Pro League next year, the South African team will not be staying in the Astro Villas next to the venue, but instead the home team has had to stay in a school boarding house free of charge. This is because SA Hockey allegedly missed the deadline to apply for accommodation.
It is apparently not the first time SA Hockey have missed a deadline. Potchefstroom were going to bid to hoist the 2026 World Cup and were ready to fly to Switzerland to present their case, with SA Hockey only needing to get permission from the Department of Sport, which they failed to do.
The team are also apparently furious that the SA Hockey Association did not bother to vote for either Ewing or star SA women’s player Phumelela Mbande, who was nominated for the goalkeeper of the year award.
The lack of sponsorship for the national hockey teams is well-known and they have had to resort to crowdfunding to attend the previous Olympics.
“We want to know what work has been done to get a sponsor? Sponsors have told us that they don’t know if the money will go to the team if they do invest, and if we get a sponsor, then SA Hockey says they have to go through their marketing department. How are we meant to prepare properly when we only know a week before for sure that we’re going to a tournament?” a member of the national squad said.
While the North-West University love hosting international events in Potchefstroom, it is believed SA Hockey still owe them money for hosting fees. The Citizen were not able to confirm this with the university’s hockey administration, however.
Since the much-admired Marissa Langeni stepped down as CEO in April after more than 12 years at the helm, SA Hockey appointed an interim CEO in Shaune Baaitjies, who has a BCom Honours in Industrial and Organisational Psychology and describes herself as a leadership coach on her LinkedIn profile.
SA Hockey have also not held their election for a new executive for more than a year, reportedly because president Deon Morgan was making a run for a position on the FIH Board. He has now been elected as part of the executive team at global level and it is believed a date and nominees have been decided for an election, but no statement has been made by the federation.
Baaitjies did not respond to questions about all these issues sent to her by The Citizen.
Although it is a mass participation sport at grassroots level and both national teams are impressively transformed, how hockey is going to ensure sustainability with all these leadership issues is a massive concern.
Tommy Fleetwood is one of the most popular golfers on the circuit and his brotherly spirit was once again to the fore as he won the Nedbank Golf Challenge on Sunday and then praised his closest challenger Ryan Fox.
Fleetwood’s kindhearted, harmonious personality came to the fore in the 2018 Ryder Cup with his famous ‘bromance’ with Francesco Molinari, and on Sunday at Sun City, he put aside the obvious emotion of his first win since his triumph in the 2019 Nedbank Golf Challenge, the last one held, to praise Fox, who finished one stroke behind him after making bogey to the Englishman’s par on the final hole.
“Ryan was fantastic, he played great golf today and it was lovely being in the same group as one of the best golfers in the world at the moment. I would have loved my putt going in to have been the deciding factor rather than his miss,” Fleetwood said.
The putt he referred to was his clutch 50-footer on the 18th hole which ended inches away from the hole, giving him a tap-in for par, his 11-under-par total being enough to see off the tenacious New Zealander by a single stroke.
Fleetwood’s short game also came to the fore on the 14th and 17th holes. He chipped in from the waste-bunker for eagle on 14 to stay in touch with Fox and Shubhankar Sharma just as he seemed to be slipping behind, and then on the penultimate hole he produced a brilliant chip from off the green for a tap-in par.
“I didn’t have the best lie on 14, but it wasn’t a terrible place,” Fleetwood said. “I had missed chances though on 10, 11, 12 and 13, I felt good putts weren’t going in and I felt it was just not happening for me.
“But the chip on 14 came out lovely and went in on the first bounce, and that sort of provided the spark for me. Sometimes these things happen.”
But if Fleetwood has a lot of love for his colleagues, then his love for his family dwarfs that.
Due to a rain delay that lasted for nearly three-and-a-half hours, Fleetwood’s winning moment was missed by his family, so his tears on the 18th perhaps had a bit to do with that as well as ending his winning drought.
“One of my big goals has been to win when my whole family is there and our son Frankie always says I never win when he’s around,” Fleetwood smiled. “But today took such a long time that they had to disappear to the airport, the kids have got exams tomorrow.
“It’s been such a long time coming back here, so today meant so much. Seeing my name on the champions’ walkway on the ninth brought back some great memories and I had to call it in and send a video to my Dad at home. He said let’s go for a second plaque.
“I feel a great connection to this place, I was able to draw on good memories today. And the support of the crowds was amazing. This is such a special event and I’ve waited so long to be back here,” Fleetwood said.
Tommy Fleetwood was well-served by his short game as he clinched a thrilling 40th Nedbank Golf Challenge on the final hole on Sunday, the seventh time the tournament has been won by the defending champion.
Fleetwood came from three shots behind in the final round, shooting a superb five-under-par 67 on Sunday to finish on 11-under-par. The Englishman won the previous Nedbank Golf Challenge in 2019 with a score of 12-under-par 276, and so joined Seve Ballesteros (1983/84), David Frost (1989/90), Nick Price (1997/98), Ernie Els (1999/2000), Jim Furyk (2005/06) and Lee Westwood (2010/11) as back-to-back winners.
A brilliant 50-foot putt to within inches of the 18th hole earned Fleetwood his par, and victory, with Ryan Fox unable to get up-and-down from short of the bunker in front of the green, his bogey leaving him on 10-under-par.
Shubhankar Sharma bogeyed the 16th and 17th holes to finish on nine-under.
Fleetwood started hot with three birdies in his first six holes, his 20-foot putt on the sixth bringing him just one stroke off the lead as overnight leaders Rasmus Hojgaard (76) and Thomas Detry (77) were overcome by the pressure and the ruthless nature of the Gary Player Country Club when mistakes are made.
Play was brought to a halt though by lightning when Fleetwood, Fox and Shubhankar were on the eighth hole, but Fleetwood, the highest-ranked golfer in the field at No.25, was not fazed by the near three-and-a-half hour delay.
Fleetwood birdied the par-five ninth hole, as did Fox and Shubhankar. The New Zealander and the Indian were now the co-leaders, but Fox, who had started his round with six straight pars, then reeled off four birdies in a row, joining them on 10-under with his four at the par-five 10th hole.
Fleetwood let good chances for birdie slip by on the 10th and 11th holes, and then narrowly failed to get up-and-down from a greenside bunker on the 12th.
He found himself in the sand again on the 14th, but chipped in for eagle to go to 11-under-par, catching up with Shubhankar and Fox, who made birdies.
But the 31-year-old was inspired by the shot and would not relinquish his position. His short game came to the fore on the last two holes as a brilliant chip from off the green on the 17th left him with a tap-in for par, and then came his wonderfully-judged long putt on the final hole.
Shubhankar, the 2017 Joburg Open champion, short-sided himself in the bunker on the par-three 16th and missed his eight-foot putt for par, and then found the fairway bunker on 17. He laid up and produced an excellent third shot but then missed his four-foot putt for par, to ruin his chances of a second title on South African soil.
Fox’s tenacity all through the tournament was remarkable, overcoming his wonky Driver with a brilliant short game. But his crucial chip shot on 18 was initially disturbed by a moronic heckler in the crowd, and he then ran the ball on to the fringe of the green and could not make the putt.
Fleetwood has not won since his 2019 triumph at Sun City, and his emotions flowed on the 18th green as the tears came.
Revelation 3:15 – “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other.”
How can you expect blessings without obeying?
How can you expect the presence of God without spending time quietly before him?
Be sincere in your commitment to Him; be willing to sacrifice time so that you can grow spiritually; be disciplined in prayer and Bible study; worship God in spirit and truth.
Have you totally surrendered to God? Have you cheerfully given him everything you are and everything you have?
If you love Christ, accept the challenges of that love: Placing Christ in the centre of your life means complete surrender to Him.