for quality writing

Ken Borland



Prince on the attack as problems mount at Newlands 0

Posted on April 06, 2020 by Ken

Cape Cobras coach Ashwell Prince said on Monday that he would prefer to attack the reasons for players going overseas at the next Cricket South Africa Coaches’ Conference but he was happy to firmly back the expansion of premier domestic competitions to 12 teams, saying this would provide more playing opportunity.

The Cobras had already lost talented young batsman David Bedingham to a Kolpak deal mid-season, but the end of the summer has brought the confirmation that senior bowlers Dane Paterson and Dane Piedt are also no longer going to be based at Newlands but will be plying their trade overseas.

Paceman Paterson, who played in South Africa’s final Test of the season, against England at the Wanderers, is also heading to England on a Kolpak deal, while off-spinner Piedt is breaking new ground in playing in the United States.

“They were key bowlers in our attack and we will miss them as leaders. Each case needs to be treated individually and when you’re over 30, especially as a bowler, I’m sure you calculate whether you have a realistic chance of playing for the Proteas.

“But other factors also play a role in guys leaving, but we always talk around them and we don’t deal with them,” Prince said on Monday.

When asked what these ‘other factors’ are, Prince said he would prefer to raise them at the Coaches’ Conference rather than elaborate to the media.

“I have mentioned them before at the Coaches’ Conference and CSA are well aware of them. I believe that’s my platform. We’ve got to get the system operating the best we can, if we can improve it it’s important we identify those areas. I tend to make my feelings heard and I hope the committees considered what I said,” the outspoken former Proteas batsman said.

Prince was more forthcoming when it came to his views on the present franchise system, with six teams still playing in the premier competitions next season but with a reduced number of fixtures.

“The sooner we get to a system that we can have for 10-20 years the better. I’m not convinced by this makeshift plan, although I know it’s based on finances. But we need to get the system fine-tuned so it can last for the next 10 years.

“I’m a firm believer in going to 12 teams, having played in England, where it works, and in South Africa before the franchise system.

“All the smaller provincial teams [barring North-West and Border] have won trophies, they produce talent and they can be competitive. It will get people playing more regularly; at the moment far too many cricketers don’t play regularly at the top level.

“I’m a big fan of opening up the system and more people getting opportunity. For example, a young batsman like Isma-eel Gafieldien, who made lots of runs for Boland, could play a full season with them rather than just having one or two matches for the Cobras. The game is the best teacher rather than just going to training. You learn far more in the heat of the moment.

“Places like Easterns produced Andre Nel, Andrew Hall and Zander de Bruyn, who all played for the Proteas. Border had Pieter Strydom, Steve Palframan, Makhaya Ntini and Mark Boucher. Boland has produced plenty of Proteas – guys like Henry Williams, Roger Telemachus, Henry Davids, Justin Ontong and Charl Langeveldt. These so-called ‘smaller’ provinces have talent and they will produce players for the country. And there’s nothing better for them than playing at a higher level,” Prince said.

Given the emergence of such quality talent as Kyle Verreynne, Janneman and Pieter Malan, Bedingham, Nandre Burger, Zubayr Hamza and George Linde, the 2019/20 season promised much for the Cobras.

But it ended in anticlimax with Prince’s charges finishing last in both the 4-Day Franchise Series and the Momentum One-Day Cup.

To add to the coach’s problems, he has lost nine of the 18 players contracted for last season as well as both nationally-contracted stars in the retired duo of Hashim Amla and Vernon Philander.

In terms of acquisitions, former Titans batsman Tony de Zorzi, who averaged over 45 in both competitions last season, is probably the most exciting.

The likes of Corbin Bosch, Tshepo Moreki, Onke Nyaku and Calvin Savage all have talent, but they all struggled to pin down regular places at their former franchises.

“I’m extremely excited about the players we have. In the bowling department we have more experience now in white-ball cricket which is obviously the area that needed strengthening. We’ve been more competitive in four-day cricket lately.

“The guys who have stayed are our core, they were predominantly starters in most competitions. We just had to make sure we secured good depth because we expect national call-ups. It’s obviously exciting to have those, but they hurt us last season – missing four key one-day players had a major effect.

“But to be honest this transfer window has been a bit of a nightmare with 100% of players’ contracts ending. It became a free-for-all with players just going to the highest bidder. And CSA have said that from May 1 we can give eight players two-year contracts, which means next year it’s going to be another free-for-all for the other 10 players. It will be even more of a bunfight if we go to 12 provinces,” Prince said.

Cobras 2020/21 squad – Ziyaad Abrahams, Jonathan Bird, Corbin Bosch, Nandre Burger, Tony de Zorzi, Isma-eel Gafieldien, Zubayr Hamza, George Linde, Pieter Malan, Janneman Malan, Imraan Manack, Aviwe Mgijima, Akhona Mnyaka, Tshepo Moreki, Onke Nyaku, Calvin Savage, Jason Smith, Kyle Verreynne.

Three changes as time for rotation nears for Bulls 0

Posted on March 20, 2019 by Ken

 

Pote Human admitted that the time is coming when he has to start rotating players, but for now the Bulls coach is able to just freshen up his squad in one or two areas, as he did on Wednesday when he announced a team with three changes in it to face the Chiefs in their SuperRugby game at Loftus Versfeld on Saturday.

Centre Burger Odendaal and flank Ruan Steenkamp, both probable first-choice players, return to the starting line-up after prolonged injury absences, while a shoulder niggle for regular fullback Warrick Gelant has convinced Human to rest the Springbok for this weekend and bring in Divan Rossouw as the last line of defence.

Dylan Sage and Tim Agaba, the players displaced by Odendaal and Steenkamp, are both on the bench, along with returning lock Eli Snyman.

When one considers that available players such as Roelof Smit, Marco van Staden, Jaco Visagie, Aston Fortuin, Travis Ismaiel and Johnny Kotze are all unable to get into the match-day 23 right now, then one can see that Human suddenly has the depth to start rotating players and ensure his squad stays fresh in the toughest competition in world rugby.

“It’s getting more and more difficult to select the team but it’s a good place to be. Some Springboks do need game-time off as well, but we have Marco, Manie Libbok, Johnny and Travis all back and available and it was close between Jaco Visagie and Corniel Els for the substitute hooker position this weekend. So it’s a nice position to be in,” Human said at Loftus Versfeld on Wednesday.

The Chiefs, despite their mediocre start to the campaign, remain extremely dangerous opposition and the Bulls will need to shut them down at source on Saturday. The Bulls pack have certainly rolled up their sleeves in the first month of SuperRugby and Jason Jenkins and Hanro Liebenberg did well enough as the starting lock pairing against the Sharks in their last game for Human to persist with them as they tackle Brodie Retallick and his forwards.

“We kept the same locks because they did very well against the Sharks and they will be very physical, which is what will be needed against the Chiefs. We will try and force our game on their’s and if we can win the battle up front then we’re halfway there. We have the pack to do it so I think we’ll be okay.

“The scrums have been a big plus point for us, with Daan Human [scrummaging coach] coming in and he has done unbelievable work. I’m old school: If we can do well in the scrums and get go-forward then we’ll be okay,” Human said.

Squad: 15-Divan Rossouw, 14-Cornal Hendricks, 13-Jesse Kriel, 12-Burger Odendaal, 11-Rosko Specman, 10-Handre Pollard, 9-Ivan van Zyl, 8-Duane Vermeulen, 7-Jannes Kirsten, 6-Ruan Steenkamp, 5-Jason Jenkins, 4-Hanro Liebenberg, 3-Trevor Nyakane, 2-Schalk Brits, 1-Lizo Gqoboka. Replacements – 16-Corniel Els, 17-Simphiwe Matanzima, 18-Dayan van der Westhuyzen, 19-Eli Snyman, 20-Tim Agaba, 21-Embrose Papier, 22-Manie Libbok, 23-Dylan Sage.

More proof that SA’s rugby system is broken 0

Posted on January 21, 2019 by Ken

 

If ever there was proof needed that South Africa’s entire rugby system is back-to-front, upside-down or just plain broken, it came with the news that Griquas Currie Cup coach Peter Engledow has been snapped up by Paarl Boys High.

The move from one of our top eight senior teams, and a region that is set to become a Pro14 franchise, to admittedly one of our best school rugby set-ups, highlights how the coaching pipeline in South Africa is entirely haphazard and more like a game of snakes and ladders than a smooth path from A to B.

I don’t blame Engledow at all for the decision, because the truth is that Griquas had already told him they were not going to renew his contract at the end of the season, despite his successes with the team and the bigger challenges that surely await them.

What is infuriating, however, is that yet another highly promising young coach is heading in the wrong direction. He joins a list that includes Dave Wessels, now coaching in Australia, Paul Treu, who has gone from huge success with the Springbok Sevens to being defence coach of the Stormers and now an assistant with the Western Province U21s, and even Nollis Marais, who took the Blue Bulls to the Currie Cup final in 2016 and won numerous age-group titles, but is now back languishing in the junior ranks.

South African rugby continues to pay far too much attention and spend way too many resources on the game at a few elite schools, which is not going to fix the problems that are increasingly becoming apparent the higher up the ladder you go. Rugby needs to become far more inclusive in order to grow the talent base, while at the same time, systems need to be refined at senior level such that the development of our best players is way more targeted and streamlined.

Unfortunately, putting schoolboy rugby in its rightful place – it should be a feeder to club rugby and not the focal point – is going to step on a few toes and shake up some ‘empires’ that have been built; there are some big fish swimming around in those small ponds. One also gets the feeling that many people who are resistant to transformation have set up ‘home’ in the schoolboy game, where their selfishness in trying to keep rugby as their sole preserve comes under less scrutiny from the authorities.

When schoolboy rugby was truly amateur, there were still little empires here and there, but they were based on power and ego. Today, the schoolboy game is awash with money and unscrupulous, greedy agents and administrators abound, the welfare of our children counting for nothing.

It seems some of our leading rugby schools are more fully professional than some of our senior provincial sides, and with that focus on money, there is going to be increasing pressure on our children. In particular, they are being coerced into focusing on rugby alone – basically choosing the sport as their career – to the detriment of their education. Never mind what playing win-at-all-costs rugby at that age does to their skill levels.

It was heartening to recently hear AB de Villiers, one of our greatest cricketers and a phenomenal all-round sportsman at school, say he was definitely not in favour of specialising too soon.

“I don’t believe a kid should choose too early what they’re going to do, at school you want to be participating in as much as possible. It worked for me, I didn’t just play cricket at school and I only decided that was the way to go later on. I was passionate about playing rugby for the Wit Bulle and I was a scratch golfer, plus I played tennis until I was 15 and I think it was a mistake giving it up then.

“Any sport that gets your feet and hands going is going to be good and I don’t believe schoolchildren should specialise too soon,” De Villiers, a product of Affies in Pretoria, said.

 

Women’s Proteas eye West Indies tour as ranking boost & T20 reconnaissance mission 0

Posted on September 21, 2018 by Ken

 

Women’s Proteas coach Hilton Moreeng on Wednesday described their upcoming tour of the West Indies, in which they will play three ODIs and five T20 internationals from September 16 to October 6, as being vital on two fronts.

The ODIs form part of the ICC Women’s Championship, in which South Africa are currently languishing in seventh place, but if they win the series then they will overtake the fifth-placed West Indies, with the top four teams automatically qualifying for the 2021 World Cup.

But while that is South Africa’s priority, they would be stupid not to take advantage of being in the Caribbean just a couple of months before the next T20 World Cup, and the Proteas will get in some invaluable reconnaissance during that five-match series against the defending champions.

“The importance of the tour is two-fold, firstly the three ODIs are key because of the ICC Women’s Championship and they give us the opportunity for some points because we have some home series after that. Our priority is the ODIs, but we are very fortunate to play the T20s against the defending champions on their home soil as well.

“We will be able to see the conditions over there, we know the West Indies play very aggressive cricket and they obviously know the conditions very well, so we can see how we go against them, having beaten them here in the T20 series in 2016. So we will take as much as we can from being exposed to the conditions over there,” Moreeng said at the Tuks Cricket Oval, where the team is preparing at the High Performance Centre.

The Women’s Proteas disappointed in their tour of England in June, making silly mistakes, and the drive for consistency is the major focus of their preparations.

“Our consistency is the biggest thing we need to improve, we were extremely inconsistent in England. The skills were not where they should be, both in terms of the batting and the bowling. The fitness and fielding have been very good on the first two days of our camp and I’m very happy with how the youngsters are keeping up.

“We will now be going into the different scenarios we want to train for and the three practice games we’ll play will make sure the players all understand what is required. The experience around the young players will help them grow, we’ve been keeping tabs on how the new faces go about their business at the High Performance Centre and they have graduated very well,” Moreeng said.

 

https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/the-citizen-kzn/20180823/282063392820794

  • Recent Posts

  • Archives

  • Thought of the Day

    Mark 16:15 – “He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the Good News to all creation’.”

    We need to be witnesses for Christ, we need to be unashamed of our faith in Jesus. But sometimes we hesitate to confess our faith in Jesus before the world because of suggestions that religion is taboo in polite company or people are put off by those who are aggressively enthusiastic about their beliefs.

    “It is, however, important to know when to speak and when to be quiet. There is one sure way to testify to your faith without offending other people, and that is to follow the example of Jesus. His whole life was a testimony of commitment to his duty; sympathy, mercy and love for all people, regardless of their rank or circumstances. This is the very best way to be a witness for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

    “Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you so that others will see Christ in everything you do and say. In this way you will fulfill the command of the Lord.” – A Shelter From The Storm by Solly Ozrovech



↑ Top