for quality writing

Ken Borland



Victory will mean Lions end top of pool & Phangiso wants to keep the momentum 0

Posted on February 01, 2021 by Ken

Victory for the Imperial Lions in their Momentum One-Day Cup game against the Warriors in Potchefstroom on Thursday will ensure they end at the top of Pool B, but for captain Aaron Phangiso, the focus is on ensuring they maintain the momentum from their opening two bonus-point wins.

The Warriors themselves claimed a bonus-point triumph in their 81-run hammering of the Cape Cobras on Wednesday, rebounding from the 42-run defeat the Lions inflicted on them last weekend. And while it would take some extraordinary results now for the Lions to miss out on the semi-finals and they are considering tinkering with their line-up, Phangiso said there would be no let-up in their intensity.

“Any team would like the start we’ve had and it gives us the opportunity to maybe play around with our batting line-up and there’s always room for improvement. So it’s a nice position to be in, but we’re definitely not going to sit back and relax. We want to play good cricket every game so that if we get into the semi-finals then we are still playing well.

“There is a bit less pressure on us so we are more at ease, but every game is important and the guys pride themselves on their performance so we will still be putting our foot down. The last thing we want is to lose the momentum we’ve gained,” Phangiso said.

It has been the outstanding bowling attack of the Lions that has led the way for them, and Phangiso said he believes the national team should be looking closely at their performances.

“I hope the Proteas are looking at our games because that combination of Sisanda Magala and Eldred Hawken up front has been great. Sisanda is definitely Proteas material and Eldred is shining again, showing last season’s success didn’t happen by chance. Malusi Siboto has played franchise cricket for years and Bjorn Fortuin is also doing a great job.

“The guys know the plans and are sticking to them, they’re just focusing on getting the basics right. As a captain, it makes my job so much easier,” Phangiso said.

The slow left-armer has himself led from the front with the ball, conceding just 62 runs in his 17 overs and has taken three wickets.

The Warriors’ orthodox left-arm spinner Jon-Jon Smuts has also been outstanding, taking three wickets against both the Lions and the Cobras to be the most successful bowler. How the batsmen of the Lions and Warriors handle the spin threat will be the key factor in Thursday’s game as the Senwes Park pitch has been decidedly sub-continental in nature.

Never going to be easy for Interim Board, but they are forging ahead – spokeswoman 0

Posted on February 01, 2021 by Ken

It was never going to be easy for the Interim Board of Cricket South Africa to fulfil their mandate from Sports Minister Nathi Mthethwa to reform the game in this country, but on Wednesday they lost their chairman, Judge Zak Yacoob, who stepped down following his abusive telephone call with a journalist.

Mthethwa issued a statement saying Yacoob had recused himself by “mutual agreement” and “this decision was made out of an abundance of caution to safeguard the tremendous work done by the Interim Board under his stewardship. The judge has shown remorse and apologised.”

The minister added that he hoped the Interim Board will be able to convene CSA’s delayed AGM soon, where a new, permanent board will be appointed. But the current directors have many obstacles to overcome, including the difficulties associated with winning over many on the Members Council, and the legal challenges emanating from the dismissal of director Omphile Ramela and the suspension of CSA executive staff.

Interim Board spokesperson Judith February cast a positive note on Wednesday however.

“We don’t foresee the departure of Judge Yacoob affecting any work we have done so far, because all our decisions have been taken together, they’re not just the decisions of the chairman. We are all quite clear in our minds about the proceedings against Mr Ramela and all the other legal actions we are involved in. So we are forging ahead, even though it is an unfortunate but unavoidable turn of events,” February told The Citizen on Wednesday afternoon.

Dr Stavros Nicolaou will now take over as chairman of the interim board and February said they are making good progress towards finalising a date for the AGM. But because the organisation’s whole Memorandum of Incorporation (MoI) has to be changed to comply with the Nicholson recommendations (as per Mthethwa’s mandate), there has to first be full consultation with the Members Council on the amendments.

“We have a meeting with the Members Council this evening [Wednesday night] to discuss certain requirements that are needed in the MoI and need to be finalised with the Members Council. We will update them on the work we’ve done on the roadmap to the AGM, which is one of the most important parts of the work of this board.

“The Nicholson recommendations have to be implemented, but through a process of consultation as to how we do that, there are numerous nuances to consider like the number of directors. But there will be an independent board and the Members Council’s powers will change, we can’t get away from that,” February said.

Icasa proposals will destroy investment in rugby – SA Rugby 0

Posted on January 20, 2021 by Ken

SA Rugby on Thursday submitted to the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) that their remedies proposed in their draft findings into the broadcasting of sport by subscription television will lead to a severe reduction in the investment by these broadcasters in professional sport and will ultimately cost the Springboks the chance of adding to their 2019 World Cup victory.

Icasa have proposed that broadcast rights should not last longer than three years, that there should be no exclusive deals and that the rights should be split between multiple packages and broadcasters.

But in public hearings held virtually on Thursday, SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux said the ‘remedies’ would be an unreasonable burden on the federation and would mean they are likely to lose their fight for survival in these times of Covid uncertainty, while Senior Counsel Ngwako Maenetje said Icasa would be acting “irrationally” and ultra vires (beyond their powers) if they enforced the changes.

“If the regulations go through in their current format then we may never see a day like the 2019 World Cup win again. SA Rugby needs to produce compelling content that is commercially viable so we can develop the game from grassroots level to winning national teams. We are 99.7% self-funded, we only get 0.3% of our income from government, and broadcast rights bring in R752 million,” Roux explained on Thursday.

According to the SA Rugby presentation, broadcast rights make up 58% of their income, and sponsorships, which are largely dependent on TV exposure, make up another 26%.

“We are in a daily fight for survival, we are in financial difficulty having made losses between 2016 and 2018. We recovered a little profit in 2019 on the back of the World Cup and we looked forward to capitalising on that but no-one could have predicted what happened in 2020. Covid has pushed us into survival mode and had a massive detrimental effect. We’ve had to cut our budget by R1.2 billion.

“It has made insolvency a real and present danger, we’re on the brink, and if we had not been able to capitalise on broadcast rights, we would have been bankrupt by now. Exclusivity is the main source of our revenue and with less money it means there will be less rugby until we have to close our doors and only have club rugby. And then nobody will be interested in the game,” Roux said.

Judging by the presentation of Maenetje SC, Icasa would probably face court action if they enforce the regulations.

“No Regulatory Impact Assessment was conducted by Icasa, which makes the proposals irrational, they did not inform themselves of the adverse effect of these remedies. These effects are not proportional because they place such a burden on the rights holder, rather than broadcasters, such that they will not be able to sustain themselves. Icasa have paid scant regard to the dire impact we explained in our written submissions.

“By weakening one side of the equation you do not grow competitiveness in the market, SA Rugby will no longer be in a position to provide premium content and there will be an adverse impact on public interest. These remedies are irrational, not lawful and unconstitutional. They do not encourage investment so they undermine the Icasa mandate and exceed the statutory powers of Icasa,” Maenetje said.

Icasa launched their inquiry into subscription television services to ensure the broadcast market is sufficiently competitive, but Roux says “these remedies will have the completely opposite effect to their noble intentions”.

“The obligation is on the broadcasters and not on the rights-holders, which is where Icasa are acting ultra vires. There was no discussion of the economic impact in their draft findings,” Maenetje says.

Proteas bat for less than an hour to wrap up victory 0

Posted on January 11, 2021 by Ken

It took the Proteas less than an hour’s batting to wrap up victory by 10 wickets in the second Test against Sri Lanka at the Wanderers on Tuesday, just the ninth time South Africa have won by that margin.

Set just 67 to win, Aiden Markram (36*) and Dean Elgar (31*) needed just 13.2 overs to get there and clinch a 2-0 series win. The last time South Africa won by 10 wickets was against India at Kingsmead in 2013, while they beat Sri Lanka by the same margin at Newlands in 2012.

Sri Lanka had collapsed in a rash of poor strokes on the third morning, South Africa’s pacemen filling their boots as the tourists lost their last six wickets for 61 runs.

Resuming on 150 for four, and leading by five runs, Sri Lanka were bowled out for 211 after little more than 90 minutes on the third day. Lungi Ngidi, who bowled some superb deliveries and finished with four for 44, and Lutho Sipamla, who wrapped up the tail with three for 40, were the chief beneficiaries of the tourists’ largesse.

Markram (16*) and Elgar (8*) had reached 24 without loss at lunch.

Sri Lanka captain Dimuth Karunaratne and Niroshan Dickwella started the day in positive fashion, adding 26 runs in the first five overs as they reached 176 for four.

Karunaratne became the first Sri Lankan batsman to score a Test century at the Wanderers, but he lasted only a handful more deliveries as fast bowler Anrich Nortje (2-64) cramped him with an effort ball of extra pace, the left-hander’s attempted pull shot merely sending a leading edge high to square-leg. The skipper’s 103 had come off just 128 deliveries, a great innings that was both pugnacious and determined.

His demise ended a promising fifth-wicket stand of 67 with Dickwella, and the wicketkeeper/batsman’s soft dismissal for 36 in the next over knocked the stuffing out of the visitors. Dickwella played an awful stroke, trying to wallop Ngidi on the up, over midwicket from a middle-and-off line, and he could only slice a catch to mid-off running round.

Wiaan Mulder (1-52) picked up the wicket of Dasun Shanaka (8), flicking lamely to mid-on, but Wanindu Hasaranga looked up for a fight as he dug in for nearly an hour in scoring 16. But he too lost his head, trying to hit Sipamla over the top and being comprehensively bowled.

The rookie fast bowler soon added the scalps of Dushmantha Chameera and Asitha Fernando for ducks, completing an innings which promised some hope for the Sri Lankans but ended in an embarrassing mess.

  • Recent Posts

  • Archives

  • Thought of the Day

    Mark 16:15 – “He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the Good News to all creation’.”

    We need to be witnesses for Christ, we need to be unashamed of our faith in Jesus. But sometimes we hesitate to confess our faith in Jesus before the world because of suggestions that religion is taboo in polite company or people are put off by those who are aggressively enthusiastic about their beliefs.

    “It is, however, important to know when to speak and when to be quiet. There is one sure way to testify to your faith without offending other people, and that is to follow the example of Jesus. His whole life was a testimony of commitment to his duty; sympathy, mercy and love for all people, regardless of their rank or circumstances. This is the very best way to be a witness for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

    “Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you so that others will see Christ in everything you do and say. In this way you will fulfill the command of the Lord.” – A Shelter From The Storm by Solly Ozrovech



↑ Top